Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Darn it!

So my son comes over for a visit last night.  As he kicks off his shoes and rest his feet on the ottoman I look over and view the hole in his sock.  My immediate advise to him is, throw away that sock for goodness sake after all I am his mother.  Its my job to teach him.  He then shows me the other sock, matching pair of holes.

Other than the holes the Nike socks are in wearable condition.  Then it dawns on me, I will darn them.  That's what they use to do before we became a throw away society. 

I put a hard boil egg in the sock and position the hole over the egg.  That allow me to have a flat surface to sew over.  You don't want to have a seam which would be uncomfortable to walk on.  You just kinda use the thread to cross back and forth over the hole as you close the gap.

Not sure what extra life I have added to the socks but my son was impressed with my skills and just maybe he learned a more valuable lesson.  To value and not dismiss. 

On the other hand, he was watching football and his team was losing so its really hard to say.  I thought is was cool, especially the hard boiled egg trick.  That was locked away somewhere in my brain maybe from my mother. 

1 comment: